본문바로가기

Cloudy

Today's weather Cloudy, 8.0℃

GANGHWA

MENU


Yeonmijeong pavilion

  1. HOME
  2. Heritage & Culture
  3. Eight Sceneries of Ganghwa
  4. Yeonmijeong pavilion

Yeonmijeong pavilion

Yeonmijeong pavilion

Yeonmijeong pavilion

The exact date of construction is unknown but believed that King Gojong of Goryeo dynasty gathered young talented students for their education. Afterward in Joseon era, the king bestowed the pavilion to Hwang-Hyeong (1459-1520) in appreciation of his meritorious services to country; during Sampo disturbances (1510), General Hwang-Hyeong defeated Japanese invaders and pacified the farmers' riot. This place, stream of Hangang river and Imjingang river join together and flows into Ganghwa strait and western sea. The name of Yeonmi derived from the shape of river stream resembling the tail of swallow.

It is an octagonal house erected on stone pillar, and was rebuilt in the 20th year of king Yeongjo(1744), remodelled in the 28th year of king Gojong (1891) and successively renovated many times. Afterward, this was also a place where the treaty of amity was signed with Ch'ing dynasty of China during Jeongmyo-Horan conflict in the 5th year of king Injo (1627) of Joseon dynasty. This pavilion is located in off limit area of military facilities.