본문바로가기

Sunshine

Today's weather Sunshine, 21.0℃

GANGHWA

MENU


Gwangseongbo Fortress

  1. HOME
  2. Heritage & Culture
  3. Eight Sceneries of Ganghwa
  4. Gwangseongbo Fortress

Gwangseongbo Fortress

Gwangseongbo Fortress

Gwangseongbo Fortress

Gwangseonbo's outer castle wall built during Goryeo era was repaired in the 10th year of King Gwanghae of Joseon (1618), and Gwangseonbo was installed as a military camp in the 9th year of King Hyojong (1658). The outposts of Yongdu, Odu, Hwado, and Gwangseong belonging to Gwangseongbo fortress were built in the 5th year of king Sukjong (1679) In the reconstruction of the castle in the king Yeongjo installed a sign board reading "Anhaeru" to the gate tower (1745) It is a site of brave and patriotic contribution at the cost of warriors' lives in the two battles against foreign invasions of French and America, many warriors devoted themselves to their country. In the Gwangseongbo fortress area, there is a twin tombs in remembrance of General Eojaeyeon and his brother Eojaeseon who died in the battle of Sinmi yangyo. Also there are anonymous tombs of warriors called Sinmi-Sunuichong grave yard. A memorial stone monument was erected in commemoration of the battle field and surrounding area was maintained and arranged in 1977.

* Gwangseongbo Fortress as a Historical Relic of National Defence This fortress is located along the coast of Deokseongni, Bureunmyeon facing mainland of Gimpo across the strait. Outer wall of Goryeo castle was mended in the 10th year of King Gwanghae of Joseon (1618) and built Gwangseongbo fortress in 1656. The outpost of this fortress was constructed in 1679 and outposts of Odu, Gwangseong, Hwado and Odujeong batteries were belonged to Gwangseongbo military camp. This was completely remodelled to masonry castle in 1745. In April 1871, Rogers, commander of Asia fleet of American navy with 1230 marine forces invaded Joseon on purpose of opening port for trade and first attacked Chojijin, deokjinjin camps and further marched to Gwangseongbo fortress of which was a most fierce battle ground of Sinmi-Yangyo conflict. General Eojaeyeon and his forces fought bravery in the close combat and all of them were killed.

That time, American fleet were equipped with total of 85 latest 8 and 9 inch cannons. On the other hand Joseon forces had only 300 untrained soldiers equipped with three fusing cannons and old style rifles. The battle field ruins of fortress and gates such as Gwangseongdon, Anhaeru, and Yongdudon were arranged and twin tombs of General Eojaeyeon and brother, together with the 59 anonymous warriors tombs were honorably arranged and maintained.

Natural outpost of Yongdudon was named from its shape of dragon head as projected outward to sea, and now it views a beautiful scenery around. This was destroyed at the time of Sinmi and Byeongin-Yangyo conflict and has restored to the present one in 1977.