본문바로가기

Sunshine

Today's weather Sunshine, 25.0℃

GANGHWA

MENU


Ganghwasanseong Fortress

  1. HOME
  2. Heritage & Culture
  3. Historical Relics
  4. Ganghwasanseong Fortress

Ganghwasanseong Fortress

Ganghwasanseong Fortress

Ganghwasanseong Fortress

This earthen fortress wall was built when King Gojong of Goryeo dynasty moved the capital to Ganghwado. The scale was so huge that Seonwonmyeon area was encompassed by this fortress wall, and the Mongolian army enforced the dynasty to destroy it. Thereafter, the fortress wall was rebuilt with stone, but partly destroyed during the war against invasion of Ch'ing called Byeongja-Horan in the 15th year of king Injo 1637, and repaired it in the 3rd year of King Hyojong.

Chief Heojil in the 3rd year of King Sukjong (1677) rebuilt and enlarged the fortress wall with the stone in front and the soils in the rear side.
The Chief Bakgwon rebuilt the part of east, west and north walls, in the 35th year of King Sukjong, (1709). Chief Min-jinwon accomplished the construction of present fortress walls with the other part of east and south walls in 1711. These fortress walls have 1813 shooting holes, four big gates (four directions), four small gates, two water gates and four tower observatories; the west one is Cheomhwaru, south one Anparu and north one Jinsongru respectively.