본문바로가기

Cloudy

Today's weather Cloudy, 16.0℃

GANGHWA

MENU


Deokjinjin Fortress

  1. HOME
  2. Heritage & Culture
  3. Historical Relics
  4. Deokjinjin Fortress

Deokjinjin Fortress

Deokjinjin Fortress

Deokjinjin Fortress

The military fortress was recognized as outer lying post of strategic importance in terms of securing the command of Ganghwa strait. The fortress was constructed in 1656 during the reign of King Hyojong of Joseon dynasty. Deokjinjin fortress, Namjang batteries, Deokjin batteries were built in the 5th year of King Sukjong (1679). Twenty six officers, one hundred soldiers, twelve cannon shooters and two battle ships were assigned to this fortress. In the area of Deokjinjin the largest battery of all cannons in Ganghwado and Deokjin outpost were installed there and a warning monument stands along the seashore giving a notice of warning message to foreign vessels not allowed to access to island. There were fifteen cannons mounted within Namjang battery in those days but only seven cannons were available for this display at present.

::Deokjinjin as a Historical Remain of National Defence

It was upgraded to directly commanded by Manho official in 1677 and awarded to name as Deokjinjin which permitted to assign one manho official, twenty six officers, one hundred soldiers, two battle ships and other military equipment. This is a place of very bloody battle took place here in Deokjinjin at both Byeongin-Yangyo of French invasion in 1866 and Sinmi-Yangyo of American Asia fleet's invasion in 1871. Thereafter, all the fortresses and tower gates were collapsed of which facilities were repaired and maintained in 1976.