This bell was cast as a small one by Yun jiwan (a chief of Ganghwa) at the 14th year of King Sukjong of Joseon dynasty (1688) and Min jinwon (a chief of Ganghwa) was recast it at Mt. Jeongjoksan fortress at the 37th year of King sukjong (1711), and it is being kept to this date.
It is a quite different one from the traditional shape of other Korean bells.
It has horizontal belts around the body of bell to differentiate the top and bottom, and the top part is slightly projected outward. This bell is embellished with flower prints has four quarter and nine papilla of lotus. The France attempted to loot this bell during Byeongin-yangyo in 1866, but due to the heavy weight they gave up to take it away.
The Ganghwadongjong (temple bell) that was preserved in Ganghwa-eup was moved to the palace site of Goryeo in 1976 when promoting national relic restoration business in the major areas in Ganghwa. Then, it was moved again to Ganghwa History Museum for preservation in 1999 and exhibited for the relic preservation. Currently, it is exhibited in Ganghwa History Museum that was refurbished in Oct. 2010